Reflections on buying a boat (part 2 – The Purchase)

The story so far… Has already been told in part 1. Anyone who hasn’t read it, you’d be best off reading it before this part.

So, after very careful discussions with the powers that be, a slight extension in budget was authorised. Arrangements were made, and off I went. A very hot day to be travelling, I really missed not having air-conditioning that functioned. But aside from being warm, and drinking my own weight in squash and water (I literally sloshed inside) and some crisps to keep salt levels up, I arrived in very good time. Lock down, despite being relaxed, was keeping traffic slightly less than usual, but only very slightly.

Superfluous was everything promised, and more. The “more” was in the form of a break-back trailer, which reduced the haggle room in my conscience quite considerably. After a good crawl over her, identifying every fault I could, and making allowances for them, a deal was made.

I think it was about the right price. I was happy, I don’t think the owner, Jeff (or at least his Dad – Jeff was at work) was unhappy, After a socially distanced hand shake – picture, if you will, two men stood a distance apart, wiggling outstretched arms up and down at each other! – the deal was done. The funds were transferred, necessitating a full and frank interrogation from the Natwest Inquisition, who eventually released the funds.

Upon receipt of the receipt, so to speak, it was revealed to me by letter head that the gentleman I was doing completing the transaction with, Les, used to run a chandlers which my parents had frequented for nearly 20 years, while visiting their boat, then kept at Walton-on-the-Naze. What a small world it can be!

Meanwhile, I had hitched up the boat, complete with adding my light board, checking the strapping, and all the other prerequisites of towing, not to mention a picture sent to the children of her connected to my van, and then off I trundled. Jeff had kindly upgraded the tyres before hand, knowing I had a long tow ahead.

Behind my old Camper van (a Nissan Primastar), the boat towed perfectly. Aside from needing to change down a mite earlier (the van has always been slightly under powered) it was very easy to forget the boat was there, the gunwales and mudguards only showing in the mirrors once a turn was made.

Just a quick stop to check everything

Being a paranoid (or possibly experienced) tow-er, I stopped after 10 miles in a laybye, and checked over the load, Nothing had shifted, the straps were still tight etc, so off I went. After 2 hours, I pulled into Fleet Services, well ready for a stop after another few litres of water. My remaining supplies were now also rather on the warm side, so I bought some more from the bizarrely quiet, semi-abandoned services, before finishing my trip. The boat safely on the drive, and secured using my old caravan’s hitch lock, the kids were allowed to come out and have a look and a climb in her.

Welcome Home Superfluous.

Snug in her new “Dry Moorings”.