Time spent learning the ropes (pun intended), and spars, and canvas…
NB, boring text post, forgot to take any pictures! Sorry…
So, between me arranging to look at Superfluous, and actually viewing her, Jeff had taken her out, and either a) broke or more likely b) identified as broken, the coil packs for the outboard.
I had priced them up via a reputable supplier as a “haggling point” before I went up, and ordered them from the service station when I was on my way home, but that still left me waiting for delivery.
So, the day after collecting, I was unable to go out (or rather unwilling to risk it without an engine), particularly with a novice crew.
So, obviously, being a bloke, I did the next best thing, and pretended. While sat on the driveway, I emptied all the bits out, looked at them, tidied them, took a few measurements and notes, and made a shopping and a rough to-do list.
This progressed as the day went on, as I slowly but surely worked my way through rigging and de-rigging the boat. This allowed me to check I at least knew roughly what I was doing by the time I made it to a slip, and that I was certain I had everything. In retrospect more sensible than launching straight in anyway.
I also did a few basic odd jobs, like cutting down a big coil of rope I had knocking about to make suitable length mooring lines.
It was also a good opportunity to talk through at least some of the basics with various family members, who took it in turns to join me, get bored, and drift back to the house!
By the time I put her away, I was reasonably sure I was ready, as I ever would be, to launch.
After a quick trip to borrow some life-jackets, from my parents boat, conveniently local to me, but part way through a major engine overhaul. With no engine currently fitted, they would not be leaving their mooring for a while, so their life-jackets were sitting unused, and would buy me some time to think/work out what we needed before purchasing some. Thanks Dad.
The rest of the day / evening was spent in domestic duties, as well as thinking and planning for sailing.
The following day (28th May 2020), the coil packs arrived as scheduled, and were fitted in time to allow us to head for a slip way on the upper Hamble, a couple of miles away, a couple of hours before high tide. The plan was to ride the last of the flood up river, and then come home on the ebb, mostly under oars or motor to give the crew a benign and enjoyable experience.
But that’s another post…